Thursday, September 2, 2010

The beginning of a life filled with laughter

Or...
How I met my husband.

I went to an all girls Catholic high school, Elizabeth Seton. About once a month, the local boys' Catholic high school, Mendel, would have a dance in their gym. They would have a well know Chicago area band like the Cryin' Shames, the Buckinghams, American Breed, etc. These were usually emceed by the well known Chicago DJ, Dick Biondi.

On Friday, February 20th, 1970, Mendel hosted the Ides of March with Dick Biondi as emcee. They had just released their single "Vehicle". It was going to be a great dance and I went with 5 of my girlfriends.

Dick Biondi opened the show as usual by asking who was there from what high school. Of course a loud cheer erupted for Mendel and other local schools. When he asked who was there from Mother McAuley, another all girls school, the GUY besides me wildly cheered.

We were standing about 15 feet from the stage and Dick Biondi noticed this, as did everyone else around him, and stopped. "YOU go to Mother McAuley?", Dick asked the young man.

"Well, I wanted to but I couldn't pass the physical!" was the response. Of course everyone laughed.

As I said, I was standing right next to this comic. I performed a once over and highly approved of his looks. I then looked to his left to see if there was a female standing next to him. Which there was not.

So I turned and asked "What part did you fail?"

Well, that was the start. We danced and talked the rest of the evening. I gave him my phone number and he called a few days later.

We've been laughing together ever since.

1 comment: