Saturday, July 31, 2010

Welcome

About a year before my MS, I decided what I wanted to be when I grew up - a philosopher! The fact that it took me 56 years to realize this just means that I've given it lots of thought. I admit that I loved sharing my thoughts and observations with friends, family and co-workers. And although I might have been sharing it for years, I now openly gave advice when I hoped it might help.

But then MS came and changed my life. Now there is no more visiting clients or going to a workplace. But that hasn't stopped me from overflowing with opinions and philosophies. So like an awful lot of people in this internet age, I've decided to start a blog.

If you groan and say "Not another!" then stop reading and don't come back. It's OK. My feelings will only be hurt a little. I can take it. I've said for years that I have big shoulders (which I really do by the way).

And if you want to comment on something I've written, then please do. I love dialog much more than just standing on a soapbox. On Sundays I often want to say to the priest during the sermon "Can we talk about this further?" But be prepared to get my opinions back. I like to listen (or in this case read), think about it, and either ask more or state my case further. But I won't get into arguments. If you really disagree with me, fine, let me know. But be satisfied if I just reply OK.

I also won't stand for profanity. I never have and hopefully never will. I don't see the use for it or euphemisms that substitute for it like #*$@! or worse. What is wrong with saying "I really don't understand" instead of "I f****** don't understand"?

And although I'll try to keep spelling errors to a minimum, I do tend to misuse punctuation. I like dashes, parentheses and exclamation marks. I'll also try to not use internet speak. I will say "By the way" instead of BTW. But feel free to use it yourself in the comments. I just don't want my future book editors to have to do much work (don't all philosophers have grand ideas about themselves?).

So when I can't say what I want in Facebook's small limits, I'll post my thoughts here. And I look forward to discussing them with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment